On Windows 7 machines:
- Start Windows Explorer. Usually, you will find a yellow folder icon on the toolbar on the bottom of your screen. Click on this icon. If you don’t see a yellow folder icon, then click on the Start icon at the bottom left of your screen, and then type “Windows Explorer” (don’t type the double quotes) into the textbox that says “Search programs and files”.
- Navigate to the folder that contains the files you want to place into your zip file.
- 3. Point your cursor to a position in the Windows Explorer windows so that the cursor is not pointing to anything
- 4. Right-click your mouse. Select New… and then “Compressed (zip) file”. A new zip icon or file will appear, depending on how you are viewing your folder
- 5. Select a file by left-clicking your mouse, then drag it into the zip file. Repeat this process for each file that you want to include in the zip file.
On (older) Windows XP machines:
- Start Windows Explorer (right-click the Start menu, then choose Explore).
- Navigate to the folder in which you want to create a .zip file.
- On the File menu, point to New, and then click Compressed (zipped) Folder. Type a name for the new folder, and then press ENTER.
- Using Windows Explorer, drag any files you wish to place into the .zip file.
- Select the file or folder of files you want to compress into a .zip file.
- Right-click or hold “Ctrl” and click the file or folder of files you have selected. Choose “Compress” from the pop-up menu. The text in quotes following the word “Compress” shows the name of the file or folder of files you are about to compress. You can also reach the Compress option by clicking “File” in the menu bar and choosing “Compress” from the drop-down menu.
- The compressed file is created in the same location as the original file. For example, if the file or folder of files you are compressing is on the desktop, the .zip file also appears on the desktop.
- When you compress multiple items at once, the .zip file is given the name “Archive.zip.” If you compress a single item, the .zip file is given the name of the single item.